Student Blogs & Vlogs | College Study Abroad Programs, IFSA-Butler

My Posts

{photos, text, video}

Making Papyrus

Time January 13th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

This is a video of someone making papyrus at a papyrus shop. I shot it in 3 2-minute segments because of upload constraints on the blog, and then discovered how to reduce video size. So I spliced them back together. Might be a bit choppy.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Soccer Video

Time January 13th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | Comments Off on Soccer Video by

Here is a soccer video. Last one of the day. I have a few more to upload but I have other things I want to get done today.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Camel Riding

Time January 13th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Two videos spliced together. One is of Marissa and Lauren and I riding a camel while the bedouin tries to steal my hat. The other is of us being stupid around the camels.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University



Time January 13th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | Comments Off on Bellydancing! by

Here is a bellydancer at the resort we stayed at at the Red Sea. She dragged a bunch of different people up to dance, including Jon and James Blond, and Cory & Simone. Blond can’t dance. In his defense neither can Jon but Jon’s enthusiasm makes up for it. Kasandra kept telling us about her bellydancing skills, but she never got up and proved it. I think she’s exaggerating her skills.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Making Carpets

Time January 12th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | Comments Off on Making Carpets by

This video is in a carpet making factory where we watch small nimble child laborers make carpets to sell to rich stupid Americans. The guy told us the children have good working conditions. They get a break every 15 minutes a day, the factory teaches them a trade and helps them pay for school, and a bunch of other positive things. In any case the video is cool.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Our First Car Ride

Time January 12th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

This is our first car trip from the airport to a restaurant a few blocks from the apartments the Cairo kids stayed at. Gives a good idea of the Cairene skyline and a bit of traffic.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University



Time January 12th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | Comments Off on Jon by

Here is a video of Jon singing. I’m sorry for the poor quality I had to reduce it pretty severely to successfully upload it. In any case he brought this guitar with him everywhere. It was lovely. Any place Jon was there could be live music. When he traveled to Greece with James Blond he brought his guitar and a change of clothes and nothing else.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Videos! Finally!

Time January 12th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | Comments Off on Videos! Finally! by

So I managed to think of posting these AND access to quality internet at the same time. Shocking. Most of these videos I realized are rather short and pointless. I think I started in Egypt with good intentions but the inability to upload anything killed my desire to take video. So I have a lot of random nonsense. I can only upload one video at a time to the blog. Which is cumbersome and frustrating. But here is the first one.

This is a German Ossuary in El-Alemain. It was built in the style of a medieval fortress and they buried their dead stacked like cordwood 2 meters deep. This was less moving but still pretty awesome. In a guest book the last people to write before us had found their grandfather and had written that they were glad to finally know where he was, and that he was resting in peace with his comrades.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University
Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Welcome in America

Time January 10th, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So I’m home now and have been for about a week. The trip home was easy enough although there was some fog over Madison, so the pilot performed an instrument landing – a dangerous and risky operation. But he pulled it off and I survived. My fiancee and two of my best friends picked me up from the airport and took me home, where the rest of my friends met me with pizza and beverages. I crashed out pretty quick though. I passed through 8 time zones on my trip home from Egypt which means that I was up for an extra 8 hours on the 30th. It was a long day.

I haven’t had much time to reflect on being home though. The last week has been insanely busy. My friends and I have been doing a bunch of gaming and then I took Amber down to Bloomington, Indiana, where she attends graduate school. Now I’m just hanging out in the library while she gets some work done.

I haven’t had much dietary stress – which we were warned about. But then I also haven’t gorged myself like it sounds some of the other kids did (one of them gained 5 pounds in 4 days!!). I have enjoyed good old American cuisine. At a restaurant I went to for lunch they served bacon wrapped in sausage and called it “Wisconsin Sushi.”

I haven’t really experienced reverse culture shock exactly. I do miss my Egypt friends and its strange to think that some of these people who I saw every day and got pretty close to aren’t going to be there anymore when I go to class. Its a little odd to wake up in the morning and not see Rob and Trevor at breakfast, or visit with the girls between classes.

I tried to cross the street last night ‘Egypt Style’ but stopped myself when I remembered that the little hand wave will not stop a wall of cars in America the same way it does in Alexandria. I also threw a little rant when I realized that my bottle of water cost me 15 pounds. I think the biggest “culture shock” experience for me has been that people just aren’t as interested in my experiences as I thought they would be. I saw a friend for the first time in four months that I hadn’t spoken to at all while I was abroad and he didn’t ask me a single question. That threw me off a bit. I also have to stop myself from injecting “Egypt this” and “Egypt that” and “this one time in Alex” and the link into conversations because I don’t want to turn in to a one track record. I have to watch my language a bit too. A selection of Arabic expressions that had worked their way in to our vocabulary are essentially meaningless here. My friends don’t understand Arabic and they have no context for these little phrases that give them meaning. I also have to remember that people can understand me again. I had become accustomed to talking about people or making observations about whatever because the likelihood of anyone understanding me was very low. Here I have to remember not to do that.

My mom asked me an interesting question about my culture shock experience in Egypt. I don’t think culture shock is really the right word for it. There were things I had to get used to, like crossing the street or bartering for goods. The way things operate in Egypt are less organized. Even waiting in a line to buy a train ticket is more like a shoving match than an orderly process. But for me it was just a different way of doing things so I just tried to adapt.

For me it wasn’t culture shock so much as a break down. After Sinai and my dysentery I was just done. On the flight home from Sharm I was snippy and ranted all the time about how much Egypt sucks. I skipped every class except one that week. I was just in a black funk and it lasted about two weeks. After that I was really uninterested in school. I was just fed up with the country and was ready to come home. I know other people had similar experiences. I know Josh flipped out on a guy at a restaurant. Lauren and Helen both raged at Egyptians. Everyone has an experience where something random just tipped the scales and they snapped and everyone snapped in different ways.

Its really hard to say how Egypt has changed me or what I’ve gotten out of the experience. I’ve only been home 8 days and I think it will take some time to really internalize everything that’s happened to me.

Attached is a video of some guys fishing in Alexandria. I was going through my videos and I realized that I kinda stopped bothering about the same time it became clear that the internet in Egypt was too slow to support video uploading. So the videos I do have are kinda random. But I’ll try and throw the rest of them up online ASAP.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Floating down the Ages

Time January 3rd, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So my Egypt Adventure is almost over and as per my style I’ve procrastinated too long on making a blog post so prepare for a massive wall of text.

The Alexandria students saw a football game on December 2nd, the day after my birthday. It was organized by Sabri, one of the Egyptian students. All of us IFSA kids went and so did some private students and a bunch of Middlebury kids. The game was actually pretty good but it should have been a slaughter. Al-Ahli was playing Smooha. Ahli is one of the two best teams in Egypt and Smooha only just moved up in the rankings high enough to even be worth Ahli’s attention. But they were playing poorly and Smooha was bringing their A-game that night so it ended up as a 1-1 tie. I don’t know anything about football so I don’t have much more to say about the game. But there were riot police EVERYWHERE. Maybe 200-300 riot cops in full gear with batons and Large shields, and another couple hundred regular police. They were sitting in a ring around the stands keeping everyone in line. At the end of the game, before they let the spectators out, they lined the stadium, linked arms, and stood there. Presumably to keep people from rushing the field. The other really entertaining thing was the Ultras. They’re an extremely dedicated (insane) group of fans. They had maybe 4 whole banks of bleachers in a row. They had organized chants, massive banner-tarps, paint, they were soo crazy. I took some video of it all and when I get back to the states I will upload it.

We all struggled through class that last week. It was rough staying awake in class, or even going to class. Nothing productive got done. We had a paper assigned and most of us didn’t end up getting that sucker done until we were actually ON the cruise.

The cruise was a blast. The 9 of us met up with the Cairo kids and we took a sleeper down to Luxxor. That was a lot of fun. I was pretty tired and feeling somewhat anti-social so I didn’t partake in the shenanigans but most everyone stayed up late watching movies and running up and down the hall and in general being loud and having fun. Dr Alkomi was staying in a compartment next to all of us so I was a little embarrassed at our distinct lack of decorum. Its hard to remember that I’m the oldest one here and the average age of our trip is 20. Bunch of whippersnappers. Or maybe I’m just an old fart. In any case I didn’t sleep much, although not for lack of trying. I didn’t sleep much the entire trip. Something heavy must have been on my mind because I was really restless at night.

We arrived at Luxxor and checked in to our hotel by about 9:00. We arrived at 7:00am maybe but they didn’t have rooms ready for us. As is typical for Egypt they said we would have our rooms in 20 minutes but it took the staff FOREVER to get moving. One of the biggest differences between Egypt and home is the distinct lack of a service culture. In America customer service is king. In Egypt the customer is mostly just an inconvenience.

In any case the suite I stayed in was massive, and gorgeous. I wanted to room with Jon or one of the Jameses but Mr Memdoh just sort of lumped the Alex boys together. Which worked out because our suite was easily the nicest of the assortment of rooms we were given. We crashed out until about 1:00 or so, had lunch, and left on our tour of the Karnak and Luxxor temples. We all took a ton of pictures and the temples were incredible. I kept having to remind myself that what we were looking at was a pail shadow of its former glory. These temples would have been painted, lit with candles, full of incense and perfumes. Maybe busy with priests and worshippers.. I also kept asking myself what the architects would have thought if someone had told them 3,000 years after every memory of a memory of them was forgotten people would be wandering their temples in awe.

The Luxxor temple was the best part of the first day though. We got there at night so it was beautifully lit. Egyptian temples at night are very romantic. I think its some combination of the nice climate, the lights and the setting, and the weight of history about the place. I strongly recommend grabbing your nearest romance and wandering through an ancient temple at night.

I don’t remember what I did the rest of that night. Dinner and then we retired to watch a movie before crashing out. Tuesday morning we rolled our buts out of bed at 6:00 am. I’m pleased to say that most mornings Trevor, Rob and I were the first ones down for breakfast. I think Ger only beat us once. We went to see the valley of the kings and queens. They were neat but really they were just tunnels cut in to the ground. The best thing about them was that the paint on the walls was mostly intact, so you could get a better idea of what the larger temples might have looked like. After that we got to see Hatshepsut’s temple and THAT I was excited for. I remember studying it in my art history class freshman year. I loved that class. In any case the temple was cut out of the mountain side and it has a massive open courtyard. Not a whole lot else to say about it really. I was just excited to see something I had learned about.

That was it for touring that day. I took a little nap (after another poor night of sleep) and then we all hung out on the deck. A few people went swimming and a few more slept the entire afternoon away. But I’m really glad I went up topside. As our cruiser stopped to go through a lock a number of small boats rowed up to us. They were selling things! It was one of the most outrageous and hilarious experiences of the trip. They would toss up textiles (towels, shirts, scarves, galabeyas etc) in plastic bags and we’d look at them and toss them back. It was a lot of fun bartering from the top deck of a boat. Josh, James and Lauren bought galabeyas and Kasandra and I bought carpets. They’re pushy though. At one point this guy was trying to throw me some nonsense and I kept yelling at him that if he threw me that thing I was NOT going to catch it. All in all it was hysterical. The rest of the night was pretty mellow and we went to bed early.

I still didn’t sleep well and almost skipped going to the temple the next morning. It was at some random place named Edfu that I’ve never heard of. So I figured it couldn’t be that great. But I hauled my lazy but out of bed and omg I was so glad I went. The place is HUGE and as you walk around the bend the temple suddenly appears out of nowhere. The thing is absolutely massive. We were following around this tour guide the whole trip. He was sweet at first and I didn’t mind listening to him but after a while his stories got a little annoying and his historiography was clearly lacking in some areas. By this point we were all a little done with him. So we all kinda split off. Kasandra and I ditched the group in the main foyer and explored some little side passages and then wandered around the temple.

On the way out we passed through this market, and we had picked up Lauren. Both girls were doing a little ‘window’ shopping and I was going my best to keep one eye on each of them. But I had all these egyptians come up to me and give me a little wink and say “Two women! very nice! Lucky man! Good work.” It was funny in a creepy sort of way.

The afternoon temple was a little lame. Trevor and Rob and I and some of the girls followed the tour guide but the rest ditched. We didn’t really pay attention though. Mostly we told dirty jokes and made fun of the hieroglyphs.  That night the boat was throwing this “galabeya party.” Trevor and I bought matching white and blue galabeyas and a bunch of the girls bought some as well. So did the rest of the people on the boat. Most of the rest of the passengers were older.. 50’s or 60’s. It was hilarious to see these people wearing scarves and galabeyas and other ridiculous stuff like beaded beanies. They looked goofy. But they were having fun so who am I to judge? There was a belly dancer, and this guy who tried very hard to look like a dervish but he was pretty awful. Jon got to play his guitar for the audience but only a few people stayed.

I only got a few hours of very very unrestful sleep that night. To the extent that I may as well have not slept. We saw the Aswan dam. It wasn’t that big a deal. Then we went to this beautiful island temple that had been completely relocated to keep it from being damaged by water. It was covered in old grafiti and the site itself was absolutely stunning. But by that point I was tired and sick of seeing old temples. There is only so much you can see before you’re saturated and just can’t be bothered anymore.

The second half of the day the rest of IFSA went on a faluka ride (sail boat) around the Nile. Trevor and I stayed in to take a nap and Kasandra wasn’t feeling well so we didn’t go. I couldn’t sleep at all and ended up watching a movie with Kasandra.

Didn’t do much else that day. Dinner, watched some movies. Played some backgammon on the deck. I stayed up watching movies with Josh and Kasandra. IFSA was taking us to Abu Simbel Friday morning and our bus left at 3:00, but we had to be assembled at 2:15. So I decided not to sleep. Those two however pooped out at 11:00 or so. The bus ride was maybe 3 hours and I didn’t sleep. I watched the sunrise out a window and it was very nice. By the time we arrived at Abu Simbel I’d been awake 24 hours but hadn’t had good sleep in 36.

Abu Simbel was amazing. People asked me what the best part of the trip was and I’d have to say that Abu Simbel was in a league completely by itself. The park was beautiful and the temple was just astounding.

We took the bus back to Aswan and Jon and James and I listened to Chris Rock on my laptop during the trip. At Aswan we waited around at a hotel, had lunch and just tried to kill time. We had about 4 hours before we had to be at the train station. They had giant  chess pieces (maybe 2 feet tall) and Josh and I played a bunch of chess. He beat me each time but I put up a pretty good showing. I had an interesting conversation with Naseeha and Lina, and a cat took me on a tour of the hotel grounds. I found this little kitty near one of the paths and she led me along the paths. It was sweet.

On the train there were more shenanigans but I participated this time. We had wheelbarrow chicken fights. One person holds on to their partner’s legs, they have to run on their hands, and you charge the other team and have a chicken fight. Rob fell ontop of me and won our battle. We did superlatives for the whole group. For example most likely to travel the world with just a guitar, most likely to get her MRS, most likely to take over an Egyptian women’s prison. I stayed up until about 1:00am talking with Kasandra and Josh. When I hit the pillow I hit it hard and finally got some good sleep. I was up for 48 hours with only a few hours of rest. I don’t know how I managed to do it.

We got back to Alex safely and knuckled down for our last week of school. Stay tuned for part two, as soon as I make myself some dinner….


Fun and Food in Alex

Time January 3rd, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Edit: So wow I found this floating around in my drafts folder. I thought I posted it. Its from about the middle of the semester.

So right near my dorms there is not much to do. There is a round-about called Izzbit Saud and down Izzbit Saud is this street market. I’m not sure how to describe it. Some parts are dirty, brutish affairs. Some things make you question how everyone in Egypt hasn’t died from salmonella or some other kind of food poisoning. But others are perfectly clean and vaguely trust worthy. They have all kinds of fruits. Most of it seems legitimate. Others make me turn away because of all the flies.

You can buy live rabbits and chickens. But presumably the rabbits are for eating and not for cuddling, which is sad because they all look very cuddly. As we walked down the street one kid held up a headless chicken and says to us “Hey Americans?! You want buy chicken?!” It was funny. There are also pharmacies and sweety/pastry shops and we buy falafel and fool from a little hole in the wall near the top of the market.

I played football/soccer with all the kids from my floor on a regulation size stadium. It was so much fun. Egyptians take football seriously. They would stop the game every 5 or 10 minutes to argue about a foul or something. I was ok with it because I’m out of shape and after some serious running I would need a breather. But it bothered the american kids to stop all the time just for a pickup game. I’m not very good at football but I guess I’m pretty fast because I could keep up with everyone. Robert, one of the IFSA students, and Dean and Morgan, two private students, ended up joining the rugby team. I would love to play but I’d just get wrecked. Rugby is like football without the pads. Dean is built like a tank and he got hurt the first night of practice. But John, another student here, is taking me to this gym he found on Monday and I’m going to get a membership and a trainer. Get all buff and whatnot for when I go to Dahab. (This didn’t really happen. The gym was small and sad even though it was in a nicer club, so we only went a few times. I remained squishy and unbuff for Dahab).

We went out dancing for another Egyptian kid’s birthday. It was kinda funny because we went to this westernized dive bar called the Mermaid and almost nobody drank. They played the strangest imported American music too. At one point they played You Are My Sunshine. The music got a lot better once they stopped trying to play American stuff and started playing dance music. EVERYBODY danced. Even me and I generally avoid dancing (of course I was also the heaviest drinker at an extremely alcoholic 3 beers in 4 hours). It was crazy amounts of fun. I’ve never been to a bar or party in general and had that much fun. What made it even more interesting from a sociological perspective is that there were only 4 girls there and only 2 of them were good looking. So the guys mostly just danced with each other, or formed a circle while one person showed off in the center. I thought it was interesting because I can’t imagine that ever happening in the states. Men are too afraid of being accused of homosexuality to dance with other dudes.

The whole Alex IFSA crew and I went out to this fancy fish restaurant. It was really nice and we thought it was really classy. Then Trevor noticed the cat sitting on the windowsil next to me watching me eat my fish. I had fresh caught sea bass. Everyone else had red snapper. My giant 2 pound fish, my drink, my appetizer of ..deep fried shredded shrimp balls.. and my share of the appetizer spread cost me $14.05. In America that meal would have cost me 50 bucks. Afterwards we walked along the Korniche and found this juice bar. Juice is not the right word for it though. Its more like a smoothie. But it was delicious.

As far as my daily intake is concerned, breakfast is a couple fried eggs, this tough but thin pita pocket, and fool. My fool comes in different consistencies from the careteria depending on .. who knows what. Sometimes its thick like refried beans. Sometimes its thin like chili.

Dinner every night was chicken and rice, or kofta and rice, and some kind of vegetable stew. It was good, but after a while it got old eating the same thing every day.


Getting out of Dodge

Time January 3rd, 2011 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So I’m sitting in the boys apartment in Cairo. I go home on Wednesday. I’m on the home stretch. We’re all ready to go I think. I can’t speak for the girls who are left but us boys are excited. We like to complain about Egypt and I’m very ready to leave. But its more because I’m excited to go home and see my friends and family than any kind of desire to leave Egypt. There is certainly a lot I’m going to miss and I don’t think I’ll be able to evaluate the true impact of the program until I’ve had some time to decompress.

Our last week in Alexandria was .. anticlimactic I think. Although there were some fun moments. We said goodbye to our teachers. We took our final exams and good riddance to a particularly awful professor. We had to say goodbye to some good friends and that was sad. We all had finals but I know us boys didn’t study very hard. We were just finished with school and ready to move on to the next phase. We payed for it a little too. The ameya exam was brutally hard. I walked out of there in something like shell shock. But our fusha exam was much easier and more fair than the midterm I thought. Our history and culture exams were… well. They were. They’re done now.

The train ride down last thursday was insane. Rob and I got to Sidi Gaber earlier than anyone else and we watched a man almost die on the tram. When it pulled in to the station something like 2/3 of the people there tried to pack in to this thing. They were crammed in like sardines and people were still trying to push more bodies onto the cars. I saw people hanging out of windows, holding on to doors for dear life. There were people on the rail coupling between the engine and the first car. People were actually riding with the conductor. The man who almost died was trying to get off the train. He literally fell out of the sea of people and his arm got caught on something right as the train started to move. So he was being dragged along while some people were pulling him every which way trying to get him out. I saw him dissappear off the platform but I think he made it out ok because I didn’t hear any horrible death screams and nobody called an ambulance.

It was just Kasandra, Trevor, Rob and I on the trip down. The rest were either leaving from Alexandria or catching a train on Friday. At Cairo we met up with some of the other students and went to a nice restaurant to eat. We had to say goodbye to Rob since he had an 11:00pm bus to Israel. The rest of us stayed up all night looking at pictures and sent Kasandra off to Turkey to stay with her family. Andrea left a few days later. Trevor left Monday. Jon left on Friday. The only boys left in Egypt are the 3 Jameses and Josh. Of the girls the only remaining are Lina, Ger, Corey and Simone.

But on the upside two my two best friends from home got in Tuesday afternoon. I took them wandering around Cairo and they were both really excited to go on adventures. We got a little lost, found a street market and bought some oranges. Ate shawarma.. We retreated back to the hotel and went swimming and just relaxed the rest of the night. They had been traveling for a long while because of the snow in Europe and needed a rest. Wednesday we toured the Egyptian Museum. That place is incredible. It’s the most poorly organized and chaotic museum ever. But it was still full of so many things. I went to the Met and was impressed to see a couple sarcophagi and other artifacts and in this museum that kind of stuff is stacked like cord wood. It was mind blowing. In the afternoon we met up with Lina and Ger and Jon and went to Khan to show them the souk and after that we went to City Stars. Jeff wanted to see an Egyptian grocery store and I wanted to take them from something as “oriental” as a huge street bazaar right to something so incredibly western as City Stars. It was a busy day but it was a lot of fun. Thursday we went to the Coptic museum and Al-Azhar park. The park was gorgeous and it had a great view of the citadel. We took a lot of pictures, but by this point my camera died. When I got home all the pictures I had taken to that point had been deleted. That night we sat at the bar in our hotel and had a drink and played cards

Friday was when we had all the crazy adventures though. We got up early and took the train out to Giza station. That was our first mistake – Giza station is surrounded by filth and garbage and flies and the worst stench I’ve smelled since being in Egypt. But we found this guy claiming to be a cab driver and I don’t know why I let ourselves get in this car because it was NOT a cab. He then took us in a direction I figured was away from the pyramids and we ended up in this sketchy back ally, sitting in this sketchy tour guide’s office while he sold us sketchy camel rides for way to much money. It was totally worth it though. We got to see the pyramids from some amazing angles and we took some really great photos. Our guide barely spoke English but he was really nice. We got to climb the smallest of the 3 great pyramids. We saw the sphynx and then we paid our guide and ditched him. We walked around the great pyramid, explored the burial sites of some of the queens. Jeff climbed one of the little pyramids to one of the queens and we got some pictures of him standing at the top. Then, for the sheer absurdity and awesome nerd win of it all, we found a place to sit in the shadow of the great pyramid and played a game of Magic: The Gathering. While we were there Jeff took pictures with a bunch of people. He’s 6’5, 200 pounds, blond and fair skinned. He took A LOT of pictures with women. They all thought he was gorgeous and I bet if he had asked one to marry him she would have in a heart beat.

The second half of our adventure.. we took a train out as close to the citadel as we could get. Then caught a cab. I looked for the most broken down sad little cab I could find because I wanted to show my friends how I got to school every day. That was a mistake too. I kept saying we wanted to get to the Mohammed Ali Mosque, or the White Mosque, or Mesgid, or etc. In Arabic. He has no clue what I was talking about. We finally got close and just got out and walked the rest of the way.

We got right up to the main gates of the citadel and took some goofy photos and this little Egyptian man comes by, introduces himself, tells is that the Citadel is closed on Fridays for prayer service.. but that he knows of a nearby mosque where we can get a good view anyway. He drags us all through the shady back alleys of  Old Cairo and then fleeces us out of 300 pounds. I don’t know where my head was that I let him do that to us. But we did get to climb a minaret and it was a pretty good view of Cairo. Was it worth the 50 bucks we lost..? Maybe. But it was still cool.

They left on Christmas Day. Dr Alkomi took the remaining IFSA students out to dinner to celebrate and then we just chilled out the rest of the day. I’m just spending my last few days in Egypt loafing around. I’ll probably go out a couple more times on small adventures but I’m kinda adventured out. I will miss Egypt and I really do plan to come back some day. But right now I’m looking forward to pizza with real sauce and bacon on my burgers.


At Least the Hotel Was Nice

Time December 1st, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So my Dahab vacation was awful. The first day there was nice and we had a pleasant evening. The second day was fun but in a frustrating kind of way. We went snorkeling and I had a lot of problems with my equipment sucking in sea water or water leaking in to my mask. I kept having to go back and get new gear and by the time I found something that worked I had lost my group. Its both dangerous and less fun to swim in the ocean by yourself so that was more or less the end of my snorkeling experience. I did get to see some really cool corals and fish and such under the water. But in general the experience was just frustrating.

The next day was Sunday and Dan and I stayed in and just relaxed pool-side and read and took it easy. We wanted to be well rested for climbing Mt Sinai. I was having a little bit of tummy trouble too. Before we left Dan and I each got a roast chicken, vegetable stew and rice from some random local eatery.

The bus ride from the hotel to Sinai was kind of impressive. There was no moon so it was pitch black out – you couldn’t see anything at all. In all my time I’ve never been in such complete darkness out in the wilderness. By the time we got to Sinai my stomach was a little uncomfortable but I didn’t think much of it. We got our tickets sorted out and started hiking up the mountain. Our guide was really hauling it and the train is’int lighted. There was enough natural light that if your eyes had been given maybe a half hour to adjust, seeing would have been no problem. But there are just enough flashlights in the hands of tourists to utterly ruin your night vision without actually illuminating your path. So if anyone wants to climb Mt Sinai at night, get a flashlight. There were plenty of mis-steps and I actually took a little tumble.

But we were moving so fast it was really making me feel ill. I had to stop every 5 or 10 minutes and take a rest. After about 45 minutes we hit the first rest station and even though we stopped for a bit, soon after we left the way point I needed another rest. To keep from slowing the group I decided to get a camel (there are people lining the mountain offering you camel rides up if you get too tired) and I would meet them. As soon as I got on the camel’s back and everyone else left, I got violently ill and threw up several times. I managed to miss the camel and my pants leg. Which was lucky for both of us. The bedouin took me back to the way station and I sat there shivering in my winter coat with the people old or fat (not being mean, they were honestly either over 60 or over 200 pounds) until just before sunrise.

In the late fall and early winter months, Sinai is cold. Just below freezing. Bring a warm coat and a hat.

By the time I noticed the sun had started to rise I was feeling better so I hiked up the mountain for a bit until I found a stone formation that worked like a natural recliner. So I threw down my backpack to use as a rest and reclined to watch the sun come up. It was very peaceful. I was all alone and only the occasional person walked by. It wasn’t exactly a transcendant experience – my stomach was still bothering me. But it was still enjoyable. I met up with the group a few hours later and we toured St Catherine’s. I strongly suggest that if you want to take the St Catherine’s tour you do some research on the artwork first. I thought it was really enjoyable but a few of the others didn’t know anything about what they were looking at. So it was lost on them.

We made it back to the hotel safely by about 11:00 and after that I became violently ill with dysentary. It was awful. I didn’t eat anything more than crackers for almost 6 days. I couldn’t even keep water in my system more than a few hours and I had to run to the toilet every hour or so non-stop for 4 days. After Sinai I didn’t leave the hotel. So at least my room was nice.

I was still sick when we left but it was more calm. Dr Alkomi managed to arrange for Trevor and I to get plain tickets from Sharm to Cairo and he called short his own vacation to meet us there and arrange a hotel. The next morning he took me to a doctor. I had already been on antibiotics and other drugs and I think by that point there wasn’t much more to do. He gave me a new prescription (which I only took twice because it gave me a terrible rash on my hands) and rushed me out of his busy ER. Let me tell you, traveling with dysentary is a frightening and uncomfortable experience. In all the years I can remember I have never been that sick.

But after about 6 days and 15 pounds I pulled through and was able to eat. Unfortunately the midterm exams, combined with a terrible vacation and only 10 class days left, has utterly destroyed my motivation for classes. But that’s not so different than in the states. After Spring Break, with only 3 weeks of classes before midterms, its always hard to study.

My adventure is soon coming to an end. There are 3 full class days and 2 days of exams. Next week we’re taking a cruise down the Nile. After exams my two best friends are flying in from America to spend a week in Cairo galavanting. Four days after they leave I board my own plane and fly home. I only have 30 days left in Egypt.

Only other interesting bits of info are that I turned 23 today, December 1st, and tomorrow we’re going to see a soccer game. Will let you know how the next couple weeks turn out. Between football and the Valley of the Kings there should be a lot of cool stuff going down.


King Tut Rocks Out

Time November 18th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So lots of stuff.

The first Monday in November Robert, Trevor and I went to see Tutankamun the Musical. It was unique to say the least. It was in English and was performed in part by the Cairo Ballet, and I thought they were very good. Although some times the routines were a little too ..odd. There was a whole scene with a 10 year old boy and some snakes. Very strange. But what made the Musical so absolutely awesome was that it was essentially an 80’s rock power ballad. The only thing missing was the awesome 80’s hair. But otherwise they had it all covered. There were rockin’ guitar power chords, and an electric guitar solo, intense rock beats, cheesy ballads, and the antagonist sounded like the lead singer in a Led Zepplin cover band. It was Epic. Afterwards I felt like we had just seen a rock concert.

We went to Ain Sokhna last weekend. That was a very good time. The Alex kids took the train down to Cairo and the Cairo kids prepared a nice welcome for us. Mr Memdoua unveiled a beautiful sketch he had done of a woman and James Blond or John or perhaps both made spaghetti and stir fry. We stayed up until 2:00am or so just catching up and listening to John play his guitar.

The next day we took the bus over to the Red Sea. The resort was beautiful. Our hotel rooms were actually little villas in complexes surrounding beautiful little wading pools. It was maybe a 10 minute walk to the ocean and the weather was warm enough to make you want to go swimming without being so warm that you were drenched in sweat from the walk. I spent 2 or 3 hours playing in the water with the other kids. We chased fish and sand crabs. We found star fish and sand dollars, looked for shells. We played Chicken, which was a lot of fun. We covered each other in mud and clay. The clay from the Red Sea people pay $50+ for in the US we would scoop up and throw at each other. Kasandra and Blond James covered their faces in the clay and let it dry. They looked like zombies. It was hilarious.

Trevor and I retreated to one of the restaurants around 4:00pm or so and chatted with the bar tender. A drunk Italian guy was threatening to kill the bartender just because he could. It was really odd. He made me nervous.

Dinner was a very nice buffet although they set it up poorly and it made me upset. Thank you University Housing for keeping me from fully enjoying a delicious high end buffet. After dinner we all gathered in the atrium area to listen to the singer and enjoy ourselves. There was a belly dancer and a lot of us got involved in the show in some way. It was really funny. After she finished her act  were all feeling pretty lose. So there was lots of dancing and carrying on. We must have been as much fun to watch as the belly dancer because several tables of people were watching us and having a good time at well. John is a hilarious dancer. He just throws himself in to it. He told me “yeah I dont dance often but when I do I  just go crazy.” I think he figures its better to just try and have fun than to worry what he might look like He was the life of the party. We migrated to an actual dance club after a bit but left after maybe an hour. . At that point the party got split, with most of the girls going to the ocean and a group of us going back to the pools by our villas. We just chilled out, and I retired at about 2:00am.

The next morning we all rolled out of bed by about 9:00am or so and stumbled down for breakfast. Some us were in better shape than others. Then we went back to the beach and lounged around and took turns burying people in the sand while John serenaded us with his guitar. It was really quite pleasant.

This last week was mid terms week. It was a bit of a joke really. The Ameya exam for Robert, Trevor and I (novices/complete beginners) was laughably easy. But the Fusha exam was extremely difficult. That’s not just my opinion. Even the best students in the class agreed that it was at least challenging and all of us agreed that the dictation part was mean. To be honest the arabic program at TAFL is very dissapointing. I’ve learned a lot in my class but I don’t feel like I’m prepared to return to the states and take the next level of Arabic. The classes are very disjointed and disorganized and I feel that accross the board the teachers are adlibbing our lessons. I’ve heard though that the program this semester has had a lot of problems because of a change in the administration and that it is normally very good. So I’m sure that prospective students will have a better time. But I strongly suggest that students who want to learn Arabic and have no experience consider taking lessons at home first. I don’t have a lot of problems with a language barrier. Travel and life in Egypt would be easier if I spoke English but it doesn’t keep me from doing things,  but it makes the classes more difficult. Our “novice” level class made the assumption that we were all somewhat literate and all of the other novice students have experience with Arabic because of either independant study or time spent in Egypt or Egyptian family members.

Today I’m writing from Dahab. Trevor and Rob and I, as well as Lina and Ger from IFSA, and Dean, Connor, and Dan from private programs, are all in the Sinai for 6 days. It was an epic bus ride. We rode 8 hours from Cairo to Sharm el-Shayk overnight. The ride wasn’t so bad.. but if you’re 6ft or taller consider flying. Its more expensive but not by that much, and its only about 30 minutes instead of 8 hours. People my hight and taller simply don’t fit well on busses for that long. The ride from Sharm to Dahab took 2 hours and the bus was sketchier. But it was overall ok. We made it alive.

Dahab is really odd. There are places that are  under construction, abandoned, slums etc. And then there is the coast where all the tourists and wealth is concentrated. Its really strange. our hotel is very nice but 2 blocks over it looks like a war zone. Today we just explored. We had breakfast, and splashed in the pool. While everyone else went to the beach I napped by the pool side. For dinner we went to this amazing restaurant and sat on throw pillows by the ocean. It was very “orientalist” but still a great experience. After dinner we sat around smoking sheesha (flavored tobacco in a water pipe) and drinking Turkish Coffee and just laughing and chatting.

Tomorrow we’re going diving and snorkeling (for those of us who aren’t certified to dive). Rob and I want to go on a ATV safari, and we’re going on an over-night trip to climb Mt Sinai and a camel ride through the White Canyon. It should be a blast. I’ll keep you updated.



Just Checking In

Time October 25th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Not much to say about my life so far. A little drama regarding one of the other programs but hopefully future students wont have to deal with it. So it’s not worth relating.  Life goes on. The food is getting a little more… depressing. We have the same thing every night. But then when I go out to eat it makes the food taste so much better. College is college. Do your homework, try and stay awake through class, answer questions.

The next few weeks should be more interesting though. We’re planning on going to El-Alemain this weekend and on Monday we have tickets to see Tutankhamun the Musical, then Dahab on the Red Sea for 5 days. Shortly after that a cruise down the Nile. Then finals week. After finals my two best friends from home are coming to visit! Then back to the states.

I have a lot of video. But the internet here is so unstable and for uploading video it takes forever. The maximum file size we’re allowed to upload at once is 100mb, and that takes on the order of an hour. Assuming it doesn’t crash mid-upload. I’m going to wait until I get back to America to upload the rest of them, sadly. I will have an internet connection on the order of 500,000x faster (not exaggerating..) and my home computer is much faster, so I will be able to manipulate the video so they are longer and better quality.


Not in Istanbul

Time October 11th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

After reading over my last blog post I have one clarification. I am not in Istanbul.

Sorry for the long delay between posts. We made it to Alexandria safely after a long bus ride. The city itself feels different from Cairo in several ways. Traffic doesn’t feel as bad. At night busy streets are easier to cross. Of course Egypt never really sleeps so they never are totally safe. But in the morning it takes a half hour or so to drive to school. At night it takes maybe 10 minutes. The air feels better. Cairo’s air is absolutely filthy and you can feel it in your lungs. It smells more fresh here too – especially along the coast. The architecture is subtly different. There is still trash everywhere, but less trash. There are abandoned buildings and half-complete structures everywhere too. On my way to the grocery store i walk down a busy street. To the right is a typical street front full of banks and shops and paraphernalia. To the left is a row of half finished concrete skeletons and no signs of construction work. There is still rubble in random places. Near Rahmal Station, which is the end of the line for the tram and a little shopping district, are huge piles of broken concrete slabs and debris. I hesitate to call the city beautiful. But it does have an endearingly shabby charm to it. There are certainly lovely aspects of the city. There is a beautiful park in the center of the city and nothing quite compares to staring out at the Mediterranean after midnight. On the right the city glows like thousands of little fireflies and on the left the Citadel of Quitbay stands ready against long forgotten enemies, and the waves of the med roll in from the dark abyss and crash against the shore. I can’t help but imagine what it must have looked like a thousand years ago with the Great Lighthouse standing watch and the harbor full of sails from the trade ships.

That might have been a little dramatic but for me nothing I have seen in Egypt compares to the Mediterranean at night. I could sit on the Korniche and stare off into the darkness forever.

Anyway. The dorms are typically Egyptian in that they are functionally shabby. The rooms are small. But ideally you don’t spend time in your bedroom. You’re in Egypt you should be out doing cool things! Not rotting in your room (I say this as I sip a glass of tea in my bedroom…). The international students have air conditioning, but it gave me a cold. So it’s a mixed blessing. By now it’s early October and while the days are warm the nights are wonderfully cool. So I haven’t needed my air conditioning in some time. Our sleeping arrangement is adequate. Although it varies from person to person. My mattress is fine except for the huge depression right in the middle of it from 30 years of people sitting and sleeping on it. There are wooden slats (literally just 2×4’s) providing extra support but they don’t help much. Trevor has fewer boards than I do so he’s fallen through a couple times. I’ve gotten pretty good at sleeping around the dentI. The girls have had worse luck with their beds though. So your mileage may vary. I did buy a new pillow but I almost don’t need it. I haven’t used my comforter. It’s scratchy and I’m not sure when it was last washed. But I have another blanket that smells cleaner and really that’s all I need. Trevor’s blanket was seriously funky but when he mentioned it to someone they got him a clean one.

That seems to be the case in Egypt though. People don’t notice problems until you mention that there are problems.

The bathrooms are there own breed of special. The toilets dont flush particularly well. You literally turn a valve and water runs until the waste is carried away. One of them mostly just floods (clean water, fortunately). They clean it every night but I’m not sure they use chemicals. By evening there is the distinct smell of old urine. The showers are an adventure. They all work and as long as you brought flip-flops with you they’re clean enough. But some work better than others. Some take a while to get hot. Some only blast scalding water. Some have strong spray and some are light mist. One shoots a lazer-beam of water directly down at you. But once you figure out how to adjust the temperature of the water they work just fine. In Egypt all the toilets have a biday. But I caution the adventurous traveler. We have learned that Americans and bidays do not mix and in general they cause more problems than they solve.

Part of the reason for the lack of updates was the serious problem with our internet. It worked some days and others not at all, or just barely. Then one day it was just gone. Then another day it was back – they had brought us a new repeater. So it is more stable now. Video uploads might not go as smoothly as IFSA would like, unfortunately. (I am supposed to be a video blogger). It’s taken a half hour to upload one 65mb video and I have about 20 of them.

Robert and Trevor and I live about 45 minutes from TAFL by foot. So we have to take a cab. This is how you hail a cab in Alexandria:

  1. Stand by the road and flag down cabs with the number of open seats you need. Occupied cabs will stop for you.
  2. Tell them where you want to go (Smooha, Coleyiat Adab, Mahata Raml, etc).
  3. Watch, vaguely irritated, as he drives off.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 until someone decides to go where you want.
  5. Go there.
  7. Pay the cabby how much the ride is worth.
  8. Walk away.

I have decided that as a non-speaker, if you know about how much it should cost to go somewhere, it is safer not to ask them how much it costs. A trip to down town should cost between 10 and 15 pounds. A trip to school and back should cost about 5. If you ask them how much you want they will likely ask you for too much. Your situation may vary and I’m sure at some point this system will cause me problems. But so far it has worked out.

The cabs are fun though. Some are rank with the smell of gasoline. Others play bumpin music. One cabby was rocking out to Lady Gaga. Some listen to Koran. Others will try to talk to you no matter how much you can’t understand them. Some are conservative drivers and others are eager to get hit by a bus. On one trip the cabby almost ran down old women on multiple occasions. Another cut off an ambulance (traffic does not get out of the way of emergency vehicles). Another cab driver was pushing his car despite the obvious fact to even mechanical idiots like myself that his transmission was one bad day away from exploding. Some are pimped out with all kinds of lights and bumper stickers and shag carpet and chrome. Others are just plain old cars. Most trips are fine. This is not as big a worry as they make it out to be.

The first video is a brief introduction to a band that played for us at orientation. To keep this post from becoming a massive wall of text I’ll start a new post with each successfully uploaded video.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Arab Music!

Time October 11th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Another video. This is of the band.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


College is the Same Everywhere

Time October 11th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

College really is the same no matter what country you’re in. I get up at 7:00am too tired because I went to bed too late the night before. I drag my half-asleep carcass to the showers and wash off and wake up. I get dressed and have breakfast of eggs, bread, and fool. You mix it all together and it makes a kind of breakfast burrito. We have hot tea and water and freshly puree’d guava juice. It has this odd texture I didn’t like at first but now I’m all for it. (Alternately I wake up at 8:00, skip the shower, barely make it to breakfast, and rush to catch a cab. it’s 50/50).

I catch a cab to class with Rob and Trevor, or sometimes Dan, maybe Conner or Dean. Lecture starts at 9. It is two hours with one ten minute break on the hour. I try not to fall asleep. The teachers aren’t boring but the room is FREEZING. They keep the thermostat at 16* celsius which is about 60* fahrenheit. Also as I said before I went to bed too late so I’m fighting fatigue. I’m done with school at 1:30. We catch battle to catch a cab home and the driver wages furious war with microbuses while old ladies play real-life Frogger. I get home and check facebook, look at funny pictures of cats and other stupid crap on the internet. I take a nap. Wake up, have dinner, and study for 3 hours or so. Play some old video game for a little bit, and then go to bed. This is more or less my day in the states. We don’t have class Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. This gives us time to travel or study or get lost in Alex.
All the IFSA kids have 2 classes together. One is taught by Aladdin Elbasset. No joke, his jame is Aladdin. Pronounced Ala-deen. That class is nuts. The first day he let us plan the syllabus, determine the % value of the final, the length of the papers, etc. We spend most of the 2 hour class just discussing topics in Islam.

The second class is more traditional. Except the Professor is more opinionated. He lectures just the same as in the US and it can be just as boring. It seems that like most Egyptians he has some questionable ideas. Dr Elbasset told us that homosexuality is looked down upon but is not forbidden and nobody is killed or persecuted because of it. This is demonstrably false. Dr Mansour thinks that Turkey’s government does not persecute non-islamic religions, and that its regime is very stable. This is also demonstrably false. He also takes some rather hard line stances on Islamic history. His agenda is apparent and unlike in the states, it is the CORRECT agenda. (it should be observed though that all professors have an agenda of some sort, some are just better at keeping it to themselves).

I have one class outside of TAFL, which I seriously suggest that everyone should do. There are some odd things – the teacher tried very hard to convince me that the class will be boring and not useful for my major at all. She seriously did not want me in her class. But the Egyptian students are nice and friendly but the same as in the US in some ways. Nobody wants to answer questions, nobody did the reading, and nobody remembers what they learned last year. Its a little odd that I’m the oldest kid in the class by a significant margin. Its also odd that even though I have no experience with linguistics in general or systems of grammar specifically I’m still more equipped to answer questions than these kids. Maybe its the language barrier. Maybe I’m just sooo much older than them and my acquired college knowledge is more useful than I thought. Maybe I just like to talk.

I did meet a lot of Egyptian kids. They’re all friendly and they all love to talk about politics, the differences between American and Egyptian cultures. Conspiracies.. Like this one for example. In the Yom Kippur war, Egypt retook the Sinai. The 6th of October is a national holiday akin to the 4th of July. Israel ended up coming back from the combined Syrian-Egyptian offensive and fought to within 60 miles of Cairo and 100 miles of Damascus. America gave Israel all kinds of planes and tanks and ordinance and other help. We may have even had black ops on the ground helping turn the tide. Egyptians are convinced that American soldiers fought on the ground in Egypt, against Egyptians, and that is the only way Israel won the war. According to one Egyptian student the IDF is so incompetent  and lazy, and the Egyptian offensive was so utterly devastating, that there is no way Egypt could have lost unless the American Army was involved directly. The reason nobody knows about it is because they wore Israeli uniforms. When I press them for sources of any kind what so ever they all tell me there are none. But they say it without blinking an eye, as if this should be obvious. I can’t find any suggestion of this on the internet anywhere, and the internet is the greatest source of lies and nonsense that mankind has ever devised. Is it true? Maybe (probably not). But Egyptians are generally convinced that this is the obvious and undeniable truth.

In any case I’ve added 10 kids to my facebook friends list and half of them must be named Muhammed.

Thats actually one of the nice things about being in Egypt. As much as I seem to complain about the bad stuff, the people here are generally very nice. All Egyptians hate the taxi drivers and in general they seem to be the worst people. But everyone else is really nice. I love the students. There are a bunch of Egyptians on my floor and they’re all pretty cool. Everyone is so eager to help me with my Arabic and I try and use it when ever possible. One funny thing that I hadn’t anticipated is learning names. Learning the names of Egyptians is like learning new vocabulary. The names are hard to pronounce and difficult to remember sometimes. But luckily most of them are derivative of Mohammed or Ahmed.

There are some cool American kids here too and I always have someone to hang out with if I get lonely.

So this video is part 1 of 2 from our taxi ride home. I just rewatched them and they’re a bit hard to follow. We’re heading back from City Stars in 2 cabs. In this video the cabs are keeping pace because one driver doesn’t know how to get to our hotel.  The next video just shows general traffic. It should be noted though that this is fairly late at night and after watching this, it’s still a light traffic night. I’ll try to take some video on the way to class when it’s bright out so you all can get a real solid idea.

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Adventures in Tourist Land

Time September 15th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

So the last few days have been a lot of fun. We’ve been doing typical tourist stuff mostly.

We met Dr Al-Khomi’s son Sharif. Apparently he reads my blog and wanted to meet me (Shout out to Sharif!). He’s a nice kid. He offered to take us to  City Stars which is this absolutely massive mall. Rob, Trevor, Lauren and I went with Mr Memdu as chaperon/escort. The place us huge. I think around 10 stories. It has its own grocery store and multiple arcades. It was really not what I had expected of a mall in an Islamic country. There were a lot of women wearing the hijab, yes. But otherwise it was exactly like a western mall. There were a lot of the same shops and all the posters and advertisements were the same. I would have thought them to be scandalous over here! Girls in sensual poses or in revealing clothing (even by our standards in some places). There was even a “Women’s Secret” and while the mannequins and posters weren’t slutty models in tiny underoos, they were very clearly not wearing your grandmother’s underwear. Shocking.

We went bowling too and that was a ton of fun. I’m not a great bowler, but Egyptians suck. Even our chaperon Mr Memdu got in on the game a little bit. He’s a really fun guy for barely speaking any Ingelesia. (my blog is fun and educational!)

The next day was Pyramids day. That was incredible. We first went to Sakara to see the step pyramid – the oldest pyramid in Egypt and the first Egyptian pyramid (I think the temple at Uruk is the oldest one in the world. Sorry Egypt…). It was awesome. But there was trash everywhere and a lot of…. I’m not sure what to call them. This one guy came up to me dressed in phony Bedouin clothes and said “Where you from, American?! You want to take my picture?! Ride camel?!” and the whole time he was shaking my hand. These guys are all over historic sites. You take their picture, they want baksheesh which is like a few pounds tip. Or they’re hawking cheap goods. John (Gosh in Arabic.. there is no J sound) ended up buying a bunch of stuff. He bought a sun hat and it was vaguely cowboy in nature so they would yell “Hey Cowboy!” at him. They are relentless. At the White Mosque today they were pestering Simone and Corey pretty badly. The one guy kept following Simone, even after I moved between them and called her “Canada Dry.” Another guy offered Corey 200 goats. What exactly for we aren’t sure.

After that pyramid we visited a carpet weaving school. In Sakara they have a lot of these. Apparently they make the best carpets in the world. They have a lot of young kids working there. The tour guide for our group told us before we arrived (we had a guide for all of our tour of Cairo, so not the carpet guide..) that this is a good way for kids to help the family since they are very poor, they learn a trade, and it helps them pay for school if they go. The factory employed guide told us they only work 3 hours a day and they get a break every 15 minutes if they want it. It seems like a good thing. But on the other hand child labor seems a little shady. But who am I to judge? A starting salary for a police officer is about 150 pounds and I spent that much on art today. I can’t really speak out against a practice that might help feed a starving family.

The Giza pyramids were amazing, as expected. A stone block is almost as tall as I am. I got to climb it too! We were told we were allowed to climb to a specific point on the Pyramid and I didn’t see any stairs. So I just started climbing up blocks by heaving myself onto them – pretty gracefully if I do say so myself. But I got so high and a guard FREAKED OUT and started blowing on his whistle and gesturing for me to get down. I later learned there were stairs…

I rode a camel! The guide tried to take my hat. I took some video of that so I won’t talk too much about it except to say that he looked very good in my hat. The camel riding was a lot of fun. Better than horses in my opinion. Getting on and off is frightening because you sit almost completely vertical on the camel when his front legs kneel down. But the ride is much smoother, even at a gentle trot. They do smell though and I stank like camel the entire rest of the day. We visited the Sphyinx after that. It was neat but after the great pyramid.. what can compare?

Next day was much more shopping oriented. We visited the Citadel of Saladin and the White Mosque. The citadel was very disappointing. I was expecting this magnificient medieval crusader fortress and while it was neat from the outside.. inside was just stone walls. The White Mosque was much better. It reminded me a lot of pictures of Hagia Sophia or the Sulimaniye or the Blue Mosque. But a lot smaller and not as much light. After that we went to this place to “learn about ancient egyptian oils” which, is truthiness for “they’re going to give a sales pitch for perfume and aroma therapy then you will have a chance to buy some.”

It was a good pitch and I totally did. I bought one for myself and several for Amber. The proprieter told me “Hey I like this guy, he buy presents for his lady friend back home!” and a bunch of the girls thought I was being sweet and thoughtful. Trevor said “He’s just being a smart boyfriend.” They were insanely cheap and even though i spent a lot of money you would never find anything this cheap in the US. Its all organic too, and in the style that the ancient egyptians used, which means (according to the sales man and our tour guide/merchant baiter) they will last forever. As in they will never decay.

We went to the “papyrus museum” to learn about papyrus afterwards. We did learn how papyrus was made but we also got the “student discount” from the shop. I bought some stuff there too. I’m done buying souvenirs for a little while.

After that we visited the Khan al Khalil bazaar, the largest in the middle east second only to the one in Istanbul. We were told that while back in the day it had great stuff, now it’s a big tourist trap and most of it is made in China.

We head to Istanbul in a few days. Hopefully we’ll have better internet so I can upload all the video I have. I’ve taken maybe 20 minutes worth of short video clips.


Quick Update.

Time September 13th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | 2 Comments by

Hey there folks. I have a lot to say and I’ve taken a lot of video. But the internet is very slow here and I’m having problems uploading stuff. So here is a teaser for some of the videos to come..

Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University


Arrived in Cairo

Time September 13th, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Well we’ve arrived in Cairo. The trip out here was very easy though very long. There are 18 of us and we flew out of JFK International in New York. I was in NY a few days before we left so I got to go to some museums, and I was well rested and showered for the long 6.5 our flight to Frankfurt. But most of the other students flew in to JFK from somewhere else so by the time we got to Egypt everyone was exhausted and wanted to get clean. I’m not sure how I would do it differently, but getting to NY a few days early was definitely a good idea.

We had a layover in Frankfurt that was almost as long as our flight overseas. We did a little shopping and got something to eat. Otherwise we all laid around and tried to get to know each other or take cat naps. The flight from Frankfurt to Cairo was only about 4 hours.

The flights were very easy despite being long. My advice to anyone flying is to bring a long sleeved shirt or sweatshirt to wear if it gets chilly, and bring a hat. You can use the hat to cover your eyes if you need to sleep. Its also a good idea to pack some soft things in your backpack (I had among other things 2 days clothes on the off chance my luggage was lost or stolen) so you can use it as a pillow if you have to sleep somewhere awkward, like an airport floor. On the flights most of us read or slept. On the Frankfort-Cairo route there was a good selection of movies to watch. I watched the Karate Kid, other people watched Iron Man 2 or Robin Hood but there were about 18 to choose from. A bunch of the girls were studying their Arabic on the JFK-Frankfurt route. I watched Futurama on my Laptop. The food was questionable. I ate it because I eat just about everything. But some people didn’t like it. So its probably a good idea to bring some snack food too.

The city looks dirty. The buildings all look dilapidated and so much is either under construction or looks abandoned. When I saw our hotel I was disappointed by how it looked. But its actually very comfortable. My mom would call it “shabby chic.”  So the outward appearance doesn’t do the quality of life much justice. Although there is litter EVERYWHERE. People are not responsible with their trash. And I saw 3 stray cats just walking to orientation.

Not much to report today. We had our orientation and first Arabic lesson, which was too advanced for us beginners (about half the group, myself included, speaks little or no Arabic) but hopefully it will get easier. We’ve got plans to go on an excursion to Aswan and Luxxor, and Giza. Rumor has it we’re going to see an opera at the opera house here in Cairo but it’s not on the schedule so I don’t know.

We move in to our dorm in 5 days or so and start classes the day after. I’ll be sure to post more as interesting things happen.


I recorded some video of the Cairene skyline but it’s too long to upload (about 4 minutes) and 40 mb over the limit. So I’ll have to figure out how to trim it down.


Brief Introduction

Time August 31st, 2010 in College Study Abroad | No Comments by

Hi there,

I had a lot of things to deal with this summer that I hadn’t considered when I decided to study abroad.

My lease expired on the 15th of August and with almost 4 weeks before my departure date I had to find a place to live. I have one semester left here in Wisconsin after I get back, so I also had to find a place to stay for that last semester. Luckily for me, one of my friends had just graduated and moved in to a lovely new apartment, and he has offered to put me up until I leave and again after I get back.

I’m also applying to graduate schools for the fall of 2011. That means I have to do all sorts of things for the applications that people normally do in September or October. I registered for the GRE, started asking for letters of recommendation, and began getting all the other paperwork together to submit the applications while I’m in Egypt.

I also have to worry about financial aid. The university doesn’t dispense its aid package until the 9th, which is the same day we are leaving. I have to leave paperwork with a friend in Madison so that he can deposit my checks for me while I’m away.

Those are the most important things I’ve had to think about. But I’ve also had minor random things to deal with. I needed to get a laptop. I bought a camera, and some new clothes and linens and other supplies.

That’s all for now. The next video I post will be from JFK, just before I leave on September 9


Find more videos like this on Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University